No quinoa? No sweat! Substitute barley (as shown here) in this delicious and versatile side dish.
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 25 mins | Yield: 6 as a side dish
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat quinoa, orange juice and 1 and 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan over high heat until boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until quinoa is tender (if liquid is absorbed before quinoa is done, add another 1/2 cup of water and simmer for a few additional minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Toss bell pepper, parsley, cilantro, olives and pistachios in a large salad bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and cumin. Pour liquids over bell pepper mixture and toss lightly.
- When quinoa has cooled to room temperature, add to salad bowl and toss with fresh ingredients until evenly dressed. Serve at room temperature.
For more healthy recipes, visit our Recipes page.