Summer is here, grilling has started, and more people are spending their days and evenings outside. This also means that encounters with bees, mosquito's, flies, and other insects will make it challenging to have a good time.
Whether you are relaxing by the pool, enjoying the outdoors in the backyard, or hanging out at a campsite, here are several ways to make a homemade bug repellent to get rid of these uninvited guests.
Note: For all of these repellents, use a 16 oz. spray bottle to mix the ingredients.
- ¾ cup of distilled water
- 2 tablespoons of Witch Hazel
- 12 drops of peppermint essential oil
Bees and Wasps Repellent
- 30 ml. of liquid dish soap
- 2 cups of water
- 30 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 4 cups of raw apple cider vinegar
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 20 drops of basil essential oil
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of liquid oil
- 1 tablespoon of dish soap
- ½ teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 14 oz. Witch Hazel or Vodka
- 20 drops of citronella, lavender, or tea tree oil
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oils
- 15 drops of lemon essential oils
- 14 -16 oz. of water
You may have noticed that many of the ingredients are the same for each of the bug repellents. Therefore, stock up on the required essential oils to create all five of the repellents to use at any time.
These easy do-it-yourself solutions are fantastic to prevent common insects such as bees, ants, and mosquito's from interrupting your outdoor activities. You can also spray these repellents to use inside of your home.
Do you have a homemade bug repellent recipe?
Post it on RedPlum's Facebook page.